Example answers to “Tell me about yourself”

Sometimes seeing an example can be helpful, though each person’s “Tell me about yourself” answer will be different. Below are a few short scripts showing how this question can highlight someone’s strengths supported by successful results in just under two minutes:



Example 1:

“I began my career in retail management, but a few years ago, I was drawn to the healthcare space. I’ve always been skilled at bringing people together and working towards common goals. My experience successfully leading teams and managing stores led me to consider administration, and I’ve been building a career as a driven health administrator for the last four years.”

“In my current role at XYZ Medical Center, the efficiency of the office has been a personal focus—especially as it relates to patient outcomes. I set and oversee goals related to department budget and patient volume. Last year, I worked with our IT department to implement a communication system for scheduling procedures and protocols to ensure that all departments were adequately staffed at all times. With our new online scheduling portal, we increased communication efficiency by 20%. To stay informed about their ongoing concerns, I hold regular meetings with physicians, nurses and other healthcare staff. In my role, I also manage marketing and advertising efforts on behalf of the Center. I’ve been really enjoying that part of my work and I’m especially interested in bringing the experience I’ve gained as well as my commitment to efficiency to the team at ABC Health. Outside of the office, I’m an avid reader and I love to hike. On weekends, you might find me at the local bookstore or exploring hiking trails in the area.”

Example 2:

“I’ve been passionate about design since I was a kid. My parents remodeled their house when I was in high school and allowed me to play an active role in the interior design plans. I knew then that I wanted to pursue interior design as my career. I studied Interior Design at Savannah College of Art and Design and graduated 4 years ago.”

“Since college, I’ve been working at an interior design firm in Savannah, Georgia. During my time there I’ve been able to build my portfolio through designing both residential and commercial spaces. My experience at the firm has built up my proficiencies in billing and cutting edge technologies, and it has also allowed me to build strong relationships with local suppliers. The most rewarding part of my job has been working in Savannah’s historic buildings. This experience has familiarized me with best-in-class building preservation.”

“Moving forward I would love to work at a design firm such as yours that specializes in the design and preservation of historical buildings. I believe my experience and passion for preservation will allow me to be a great asset to your design team.”

Example 3:

“Currently, I work at XYZ Restaurant as a hostess. I’ve been there for just over two years. My responsibilities include greeting and seating customers, assessing wait times, fulfilling to-go orders and answering the phones. I love the lively and busy environment of XYZ Restaurant—we often have Friday and Saturday wait times of one hour or more.”

"Before working at XYZ Restaurant, I worked in retail as a floor associate for a year. This role really developed my customer service skills as I was consistently assisting customers in the store. It also equipped me with the ability to work in a team environment."

”I am looking to further develop my customer service and problem-solving skills as a hostess in a restaurant environment. I am interested in your restaurant specifically as it has a great reputation for delivering first in class customer service to your patrons while being in a lively and dynamic environment.”

Fundamentally, “Tell me about yourself” really boils down to “What do you want the interviewer to remember about you?” Answering this opening question effectively gives you the power to make a good first impression and structure the rest of the interview to your benefit.